from the paper:
Israel should end its arbitrary detention of Palestinian children and adolescents, and immediately put in place adequate safeguards against false and coursed confessions to protect the rights of Palestinian children during interrogations. Safeguards should include the following:
- Bring an end to the arbitrary detention of Palestinian children and adolescents;
- Bring an end to the night-time arrests of children and adolescents;
- Put in place strict procedures whereby the interrogations of children and adolescents are carried out only by specialist interrogators trained in the interrogation of children.
- Make audio-video recordings of interrogations of children and adolescents in their entirety.
- Ensure the presence of a lawyer and a parent duringinterrogations of children and adolescents.
- Guarantee that an impartial, independence and effective investigation is carried out into all complaints of torture and/or CIDT of a child and adolescent during interrogation, followed by the criminal prosecution of anyone found to have perpetrated acts amounting to torture and/or CIDT.
- Exclude from evidence confessions of children and adolescents that were obtained in violation of their rights, and/or in the absence of the aforementioned safeguards.
- Ensure that no child and adolescent is convicted solely on the basis of a confession.